Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Homemade Resistance Soldering Unit

According to mj :
Hi Bradford,
Actually from what I've read on using a filament transformer is that a
6.3 v with anywhere from 6-20 amps is "supposed" to work. I don't know
how well this concoction is going to work compared to a commercial
unit, but I am willing to throw around $100 at it to find out.

I am looking around for a filament transformer on ebay. Unless you have
an old tube type TV set that you could pull one out for me. LOL.

Most tube type TV sets had series-connected filaments which
added up to 115 VAC. There would be a filament supply for the CRT, but
IIRC, that was derived off of the flyback transformer for high-voltage
isolation.

What you really want is a transformer for a serious transmitter,
broadcast style. The final output tubes tended to have their own
filament transformers, separate from the HV transformers, and those tube
filaments ran at quite high current and quite low voltage -- just what
you need.

Earlier you had asked how this setup compares to an American Beauty. I
don't know. I've never gotten my hands on an AB or any other commercial
units for that matter. The one that I am looking at from PBL is a 300
watt unit. From my rudimentary electronics knowledge, a 6v (or there
abouts) transformer with even 20 amps on the output is 120 watts,
correct? (6 x 20). Your idea of using a 4-5 volt / 100 amp output would
get me up to 400-500 watts. Where I would find something that big, I
have no idea.

Old filament transformers for broadcast transmitter tubes.

I suspect that those are still made.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564