Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default Homemade Resistance Soldering Unit

I do that all the time. I have to solder the center pins on coax connectors
and have 2 notches filed in the part of the gun the tip attaches to. Just
stuff the pin in and pull the trigger about 2 sec and it is melting solder.
Slip it over the end of the wire and pull the trigger again and it is a done
deal. The pins stick in the gun tight enough that when you pull the gun off
it tests the connection too. I have also used it to solder car battery
cables etc. but you have to remove the tip for that.
My PACE Kit has resistance soldering tweezers that are wonderful for DB
connectors. The wire leads in those is about 14GA. I have never measured
the voltage and current in it though.

Glenn

"Bradford Chaucer" wrote in message
Interesting idea, I never thought of that approach. Have you done this
and
did it work?? How well compared to a commercial unit like the American
Beauty??

You might try a soldering gun --without the tip. My (old) Weller
D-550 delivers 240 or 325 watts at 1.5 volts. That's 160 and 216 amps
-- if the load resistance is low enough to accept it. There's one
;ike it on EBay right now: