Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Kondo

Default Questions: Ceramic tiling over linoleum

I am in the process of putting ceramic tile on my kitchen floors. I
have removed the square vinyl tile that we had and found linoleum.
The linoleum is welll fixed to the underlayment and in good condition.
Therefore, I decided (after reading info on the Net) that I can place
my ceramic tile on top. Here are my two questions:

1. I have cleaned the linoleum very well. However, there remains a
"tackiness" on the linoleum. I imagine that it is a thin residue of
the glue used on the square vinyl. The vinyl tiles are of the "peel
off, and stick on the floor" kind. Do I have to get all of the
tackiness off before I go any further

2. I have read some opinion on the Net that the best mortar to use to
afix ceramic tile over linoleum is "latex modified thinset mortar". I
bought some mortar at Home Depot called Versabond Fortified Thinset
Mortar. The packaging calls this stuff "polymer fortified". I am not
sure what this means. Will this stuff work for my application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al