Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
243_shooter

Default A metal beam design question

For all practical purposes, lift is not much more then the weight of the
booms and the material in the bucket. There will be times that objects will
be lifted rather than dug from the ground. The tension side can be assumed
to be the underside of the boom the majority of the time.
Rick

Wouldn't lift often far exceed that? I know there are times (such as
stump pulling) where I have levered the entire tractor off the ground,
only contact points being the stabilzer pads and the backhoe bucket.
Total machine weight is in the 14k lb range.

It's equipped with a thumb, and I routinely move logs 16 feet x 16 in
with it (pine).

It never fails to amaze me the amount of force that can be generated at
the bucket once you start to understand the leverage of the hoe in
different positions.

Leo