Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Deck......How Level is Level?

Larry Bud wrote:

wrote:

I just had a new deck built, only to discover that one section of it isn't
level. It's out by 1/2 inch over a four foot run.

Is this acceptable and within reasonable tolerances? Or should I withold
some of the payment to the builder? If the latter, how much should I
penalize him (as a percentage of the total)?

Beebo... some good news.

A deck is "not" supposed to be level. I've built a ton of decks over
the last 30 years and the rule of thumb is they "must slope away"
from your house.

A deck is an outdoor extension of your indoor living space, and NEEDS
to slope away from the house to allow any water that collects on the
deck to drain away from the house and the foundation of your home.

What water is going to collect on a deck when the slats are spaced 1/4"
or more from each other?

Hmmm,
Even saw all the water slipping thru the gaps? Any how, I never saw deck
perfectly level. It has yto slope away from the main building.
My two bits.
Tony