Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air)

George said something like:
"David Merrill" wrote in message
newsJUtf.664217$x96.308750@attbi_s72...
In Lowe's, in the houseplant section, get an inexpensive hygrometer,
maybe
$4. These things are notoriously inaccurate (as are many of the more
expensive ones) so pick one that at least reads near the average of the
others on the rack.

Effective at preventing mold and mildew in your basement as
well. If you have a floor drain, sink or toilet in your basement, or
it's
walkout basement, you can hook the dehumidifier up to a drain hose so you
don't have to continually empty the condensate container.

Get a good one for ten bucks. Since nobody else has mentioned it, the
reason to have one is the _wood_, not the tools. Condensation isn't
likely
to be too much of a problem in a basement, but the moisture content of the
wood will sure run on up if you let it. We stored at 40% at school, which
seems pretty good ~8% MC. Anything below 55% is going to be just fine.

Well, a neighbor went through the hassle of setting up a pump to pull the
dehumidifier's water out of the basin up into a P-trap (U-Trap?) that then
connected directly to his big pvc septic pipe. Seemed like a lot of work,
but I'm starting to really think even harder about this one---you guys have
spooked me.

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"