Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Want to make a workbench in basement. Bunch o' questions.

Leuf said something like:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:26:12 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

I'm finally going to create a hopefully large workbench in my fairly
large
basement.

1. Are there any spectacular sets of diagrams for workbenches that people
here particularly like?

2. Should the table-top of it be (true) 1 1/2", 1", or some thick plywood
or
particle board?

You can't really go wrong making it too thick. Having it really solid
when you need to pound the crap out of something and all the other
stuff piled on top of it doesn't jump off onto the concrete floor is
nice. A single layer of 3/4 plywood is adequate, double layer is
nice. A layer of 1/4" masonite/hardboard gives a replaceable top.

3. What's the "good" height and depth?

The rule you hear a lot for height is to put your arms down at your
sides and then put you hands out with palms down. The bench should be
right at palm level. If it is equal in height to the table saw you
can use it to support long boards, but you don't want it higher as it
will get in the way.

For depth ideally you want to be able to reach across it without
stretching. Up against the wall about 24" is good, anything over 30"
is hard to reach.

4. Is there an advantage to having it angle across one of the corners of
the
basement?

5. Should it stand against the wall?

If you have it against the wall you can bolt it to the wall and have a
sturdy bench without overbuilding it. The disadvantage is if you have
something wider than your bench then it can only overhang on one side,
and for some projects you want to be able to get around to all sides.
I have mine with one of the short ends up against the wall.

Here's some of what I hope to do with it, off the top of my head.

1. put a small tablesaw on it.

The table saw does not want to be on your workbench. To get a
comfortable working height for your bench would mean an uncomfortable
height for the saw. You say you have a largish basement, put the saw
on its own stand with a mobile base.

Yeah, others seem to say/hint at that.

2. Fix chairs
3. Hoist a lawnmower up on it to replace the wheels.
4. Bolt my anvil vise to it.
5. Use it for holding boards I hack at with a hand-circular saw.
6. Possibly mount (no clue) a mitre saw or similar

The miter saw wants to be down in a recess so that its table is the
same height as the rest of the bench to support long boards. For the
type of projects you say you want to do I'd put this high on the list.

EXCELLENT! I was ponderring this very notion.... A shorter section of the
WB might be a very useful thing for other projects as well.

7. Build very simple bookcases, shelving, etc.

You are going to make bookcases on the floor unless you have a really
big assembly table or they are narrow bookcases.

Ah....of course. Thanks.

Make sure you can
get the bookcase out of the basement before gluing

Please don't tell me you found this out the hard way....

8. Cut crown molding
(etc., etc.)

Any tips and or pointers and or things you *wish* you had thought of
before
putting one together yourself?

No matter how much horizontal surface area you have it isn't enough,
so as long as you don't run out of space you will always find whatever
you make gets used. Don't worry about getting it perfect for
everything you conceivably want to do because it will never happen,

This is a failing of mine: I research things and design them to /death/
before action. The result when creating something is that it is almost
always /way/ over-engineered. I built a wooden stand for a fishtank one
time---it could have held up a car.

just get something built and get on with what you want to do.

-Leuf

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"