Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

Default Electrolytic derusting question, kind of urgent.

"Ignoramus32654" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 01:34:46 +0000, Mark Rand

wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:23:45 GMT, Ignoramus32654
wrote:

You were 100% right. I did what you suggested. No more rust, but

the
surface is dull grey. I was kind of hoping that it would become

shiny,
like newly ground/sawed iron. Any way to get to this point? What

is
that grey coating?

The grey isn't a coating, it's the iron/steel surface with the

pitting from
where the rust was. I quite like the finish but if you really want

to get a
shiny finish you'll have to resort to old fashioned polishing

methods.

Nope. The dark dull grey stuff was black oxide. I removed it by
running a wire brish very briefly. (less than 1 minute). Now the
surface is very pitted, but actually reflective. I will post photos
soon.

Ig,

The wire brush is polishing the steel which as Mark says is grey due
to the surface texture at a microscopic level. The wire brush is
changing that texture by smearing the highs into the lows.

AWEM