Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default He said No to Walmart

"This was not meant to imply that agriculture is not the
fundamental economic sector. Everything rests on this. FWIW the
area of North America currently called the United States will
become a net food *IMPORTER* sometime in 2006 or early 2007. "

I know that you weren't implying the lack of importance of the ag
sector...but many people forget this fact until SHTF. Your correct
observation of the United States becoming a net food importer indicates
that our policy makers have.

Sandwich v. Ipod
It all depends how you ask the question.
If it is my Ipod or your sandwich that's one answer, my Ipod and
my sandwich will be another answer. Unfortunately the most
likely answer is "I'll kick yo' a**, eat yo' sandwich and take
yo' Ipod."
Even with "balanced" trade i.e. no current accounts trade
deficit, a nation can still wind up with no viable manufacturing
infrastructure and firmly gripped by the short and curlies.
Note to Cliff -- reread the 1st law of thermodynamics there is no
such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

Uncle George "

Your observations concerning how a nation can have a "manufacturing
brain drain" which is hard if not sometimes impossible to recover from
is also correct. Outsourcing your labor and manufacturing to other
countries means your own population soon does not have the capability
or income to compete on a global stage.

The fact that we are seeing both occurring, especially during the time
of war, speaks volumes as to where this Administration's true loyalties
lie.

Considering that we have just had a hard reminder that this country
still does not have an energy policy for self independence after 30
years since the Arab embargo is an example of where the United States
is headed.

Reliance on other countries for food, energy and manufacturing are all
growing indications that the United States is backsliding to Third
World status.

Our Founding Fathers have got to be spinning in their graves....

TMT