Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Homemade Resistance Soldering Unit

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:21:57 -0600, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

I was thinking of the welder mech that is used to link batteries into packs.
Don't know why I was thinking that. I'm sorry, I not sure what you were
referring to that is not DC output, unless it is the resistance welder and
not the charger.

Right, it's the resistance soldering device, soldering guns and
otherwise. The Wassco I mentioned is also AC. Capacitive discharge
DC works great for spotwelding batteries.

Gunner has mentioned soldering heavy wires by pressing a 250-watt gun
(sans tip) up against the splice and pulling the trigger, using the
current to heat the wires. I've never tried that, but it sounds
neat. The tip on a 250 watt gun is a few inches of about 1/8"
square copper and it get real hot right quick.