Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Question regarding Stuart 10V

wrote:

On a Stuart 10V vertical steam engine, what holds the sliding valve
against the cylinder block during operation? Closely machined
tolerances between sliding valve, cylinder block, and valve rod? Or
maybe shims between sliding valve and valve rod?

Or does the steam pressure in the valve chest force the sliding valve
against the cylinder block?

Sorry, I am a total novice at this, so far! So please be very
specific, and very gentle.......!

Lee Carkenord

Not sure, but I lean towards the close machining and the steam
pressure, rather than shims.

I do know that Tee Publishing have a book on the building of this
specific steam engine, aimed directly at novice builders.

I found this info at
http://www.fotec.co.uk/mehs/tee/

BUILDING A VERTICAL STEAM ENGINE FROM CASTINGS by Andrew Smith &
Pengwern
This book is based on the most popular of Stuart Turner models, the No.
10 range. It covers the machining of all parts of the 10 V and 10 H
engines and indeed these machining principles can be applied to any
vertical steam engine of similar construction. £6.95 (B)

They have lots of good books.:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones