Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

Default Advice please on how to remove a Cast Iron Back Boiler

Hi,

Well, the problem is that I am doing away with the 'natural fire' and using
an electric fire. It won't fit in neatly with the backboiler still in place,
hence the reason for having to remove it.

I have just recently moved into the house, so unfortunately I can't find my
camera yet to take a pic of the boiler, which might allow you to see of it
was cast iron or not. I'm not really up on what cast iron would look like.
When I cut it with the grinder it is very shiny silver inside. This made me
think at first it might have been steel, but I wasn't sure if they make
steel back-boilers, so I opted for the cast iron guess

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Gary wrote:
Well, I'm guessing that it is cast iron - based on the fact that the
areas where I cut cannot be bent with a crowbar.

I am in the UK and I think the boiler was installed in the late 50's
or 60's. From what I have read, cast iron was a popular choice for
back-boilers at these times.

I have tried hitting the places I made the cuts, but they seem to be
acting like a sort of 'spring' and the hammer bounces back. Tomorrow
I will try to get hold of a heavier hammer, and see if I can make any
progress.
Thanks for your quick reply

If it doesn't break, it's probably not cast iron. Cast iron is extremely
brittle.

Can you just paint over it?