Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default how to get on to the roof

CBHVAC wrote:
"kyle york" wrote in message

Greetings,

No doubt I'll get seriously razed for this, but I've a two story house
with a hipped roof (gutters on all four sides). I've long since passed the
age where I spend a lot of time on the roof, but on the off chance I need
to get up there, how do I do it since clearly I cannot rest the ladder
against the gutters.

Why cant you?
Dont tell me you have plastic gutters...

People lean ladders against gutters all of the time and it's a bad idea
all of the time. The gutter attachment may be sketchy, the ladder will
probably scratch the gutter, the ladder is more likely to slide as
there's metal-to-metal or metal-to fiberglass contact and both of those
have lousy coefficients of friction, if the gutters are plastic they
may crack in cold weather, etc.

A ladder stabilizer is one of those things that protects someone's home
and the worker's butt. Not using one saves at most five minutes if the
guy dawdles. Using one prevents all sorts of problems. So, why
shouldn't he use a ladder stabilizer?