Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

Default measureing for a new storm door

"Colbyt" wrote in message
news:diZtf.665141$x96.451160@attbi_s72...

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the old one and don't know where I should measure. Do
I measure the door that is there now, or the concrete walls that it is
embedded in or ? Could someone also recommend a good web page to view
some inexpensive doors..I'm on a budget. i heard that the labor would
cost more than the door?

Most doors in the US are one of two sizes 32x80 or 36x80. There are
exceptions to that rule. The ready made doors can usually accommodate
1/4"
+ - in width and 1" +- in height. You measure between the side jambs and
from the top of the jamb bottom to the sill. You measure with the old
door
removed for the greatest accuracy.

If you have some odd ball size there are "cheats" that can be done. Post
back for those.

I have had good luck with the Larson wood core storms. Unless $ are
really
tight the aluminum clad one is worth the extra cost when compared to the
vinyl clad. Here about $120 for the better.

Around here the installation costs about 20% more than the door. In urban
areas I am sure it could be as much as twice the cost.

Colbyt

I put my own Larson wood core doors on and it was a nasty job, mostly
because the wood core doors weight 6 times as much as the cheapo aluminum
doors. Depends on your age and how many hernias you've had. If you're young
and fit, go with the Larson, it's a good door.

Bob