Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Wheelchairs and lathes

"Bob Woofter" wrote in message
George,

I think your plan is great. I don't have your difficulties, however, as a
life long die maker and woodworker I see no problem to you operating a
lathe.
The secret is getting the lathe close enough to you. I suggest:
1. Using a mini or midi lathe.
2. Mounting it onto a custom made table that will position it in and just
above your lap. This will necessitate...
3. Using a chair with no arms while turning.
If you can do these three things then I believe there is no reason that
you can't become an accomplished metal and/or wood turner as good as any.
Keep me posted on your plans and If I can assist in the construction of
any of the above, let me know.

Bob

====================
Bob,
As one who has spent the last 6 years in a whel chair, let me recommend you
NOT get one of the popular mini/ midi lathes (with motor underneath) for
wheel chair turning unless youi expect to do a lot of modification to
mounting it. In it's normal configuration atop a table/bench, the centerline
of the spindle will be more on level with your shoulder than your elbow as
recommended by most turners. So, unless you want to adopt an unstable "side
arm" style of turning, look for a set up where you can tilt/ rotate the
lathe forward to near horizontal (like mounted on a vertical wall or
cabinet). Then the problem becomes how to mount your banjo and toolrest.
Otherwise, the ideal would be a small lathe, 9-10 in swing with the motor
mounted to the rear. The lathe would be mounted over a pair of pedestals
allowing the lathe to drop into the users lap. Other considerations: 1)
keeping shavings away from the wheels, as they tend to lock up the wheels,
especially the small ones up front; 2) lack of side to side mobility,
meaning modification of the "turners sway"; 3) difficulty in doing deep or
closed forms; the list goes on, but you'll have to adapt to your individual
lathe/shop characteristics. HTH

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.