Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Default Bar clamps from HF

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Can I safely go cheap with these bar clamps from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5976

Or are they not worth it? Perhaps the bar isn't as thick as the
Jorgensen clamps I can get at Home Depot (for twice the price).

Mike

My son bought some of these and they work fine for what they are. You just
have to remember that you're working with light weight clamps and use them
for light weight clamping. But... then again, that's what light weight
clamps are for, right?

Mine work fine also, but you are the second person
to say they are for light weight work. I beg to
differ. If you clamp tighter than these can
provide, you will put a dent in the wood even if
you are using a pieces of wood to spread the
effect pressure. If you need more pressure you
are doing something wrong or bending wood. I use
pipe clamps but primarily for really long stuff or
because the the pipe clamps just easy the set up