Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

Default Homemade Resistance Soldering Unit

I was thinking of the welder mech that is used to link batteries into packs.
Don't know why I was thinking that. I'm sorry, I not sure what you were
referring to that is not DC output, unless it is the resistance welder and
not the charger. Once again, my mind was on the wrong box. Great article
on the shopbuilt resistance soldering device. I may have to build one, just
to have one in case..... The Variac would be great to control current,
especially with the soldering gun, which may be too much anyway. Sorry
about my confusion.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 19:51:46 -0600, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

Definitely on the primary (110v) side. Just remember that the Variac does
NOT isolate the output from the 110v input. I'm sure your aware but
thought
I'd mention it. The output of the soldering gun would be AC but the
charger, of course, is DC. I had considering building one but also using
DC cap in the circuit to give it just a bit more "punch". I've not looked
inside one of the commercial units to verify if those are done that way or
not.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

They're not. They're AC. AC heats just as well as DC, why rectify
it?

You're right that DC with a cap would have more punch -- if you want
divots in your sheetmetal.