Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

Default Making A Square Hole In Stainless Steel

If indeed your future needs will be through one inch thick material, might I
suggest broching.

For a one inch through broach of 1/4 square, I'd guess a pretty serious
hydraulic setup....which of course requires the correct sized hole to start
with. A 1/4 square broach is a pretty flimsy tool and breaks real easy.

Good luck!

wrote in message
oups.com...
It doesn't seem like that would work well for material that may go over
an inch thick. And since I may need to make a lot of accurate 1/4"
holes in the 1/16" stainless for my present project, this would seem to
be very tedious.

But I guess that I have no choice and will have to go the drilling and
filing route for now, unless someone can recommend a small
punch/die/press combo that would make those 1/4" round holes square.
Anyone?

After that I'd just have to worry about getting more equipment for the
bigger, deeper holes in the future.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************** ************************************************** ****
JR North wrote:
You're gonna need a honking press and some serious dies to punch 1/16"
SS cleanly. Prolly should consider drilling a 1/4" hole at the location
and filing square.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:
Does anyone here have to make square holes on a regular basis?

I need to make the 1/4" diameter holes in 1/16" thick stainless steel
and have come to the conclusion that the best way is probably with a
punch of some sort.(Hopefully a small and inexpensive one). But I
wanted to make sure that there wasn't a better way, and wanted to ask
if there was any kind of cutter that one can use with a
Rotabroach(Hougen model #10904) that would make these square
holes.(I'll probably have to make larger, deeper holes in the future).

I've read about some Watts Brothers bits that one can use in a drill
press(which I don't have yet) for this purpose, but even those appear
difficult to come by, and I wanted to entertain all of my options.

I've heard mention of Rotary Broaching to make square holes, but
nothing concerning using a Rotabroach for this. :-)

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.