Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default arc welding with generator

On 1 Jan 2006 14:21:36 -0800, "Rancher Sam"
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if I can run a 225 amp buzz
box at less than its full amperage. The lincoln 225 ac that's in most
home improvement stores has a selector knob that allows you to go from
say 60 amps all the way to 225. If I run the buzz box at 150, for
example, can my 5500 generator handle that?

I have a lincoln, weldpak 3200, mig welder that's for up metal up to
5/16s. Can I make structural welds with multiple passes using this?

Thanks for all the info.

Sam

Frankly..Id go with the Lincoln, using a wire called Outer Shield 71m.
Its a flux core wire that you use with gas, and is designed for
outdoor structural welding, with CO2 as the gas. Its really good ****
for this type of work, and I believe...maybe..that your MIG would run
on the genny when using this. Is your welder capable of running .035
or .045 wire? If so..then load it up with Dual Shield and make some
test welds.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner