Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew H. Wakefield

Default Update on Cincinatti 12x36 Tray-Lathe

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:15:16 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:03:37 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in message
T...
snip-------
Any further words of wisdom before I go to look at the lathe will be
most
appreciated!

Andy

" He said that the only thing that was not quite
right on the lathe is that the carriage crank bushing is worn and the
crank
is consequently "floppy" -- but it still works."

That, to me, would be a sign of a machine that has been ridden hard and
put
away wet. Check the ways for wear, and the cross slide as well.
Look
for any gouges, where chips may have ruined the surfaces, and
inconsistent
form of the ways. Keep in mind that if the ways are not good, the
machine, at best, won't be very reliable for anything but rough work.

Harold

I should mention Harold..that My 15x52 clausing had worn crank
bushings, yet the machine is tight, has NO wear on the ways and will
hold very good tolerences. Personally I think the way they built it
lead to premature wear.

Your Clausing probably has flame hardened ways - does the Cinncinnati?

Mike

No idea. The OP was going to look at it yesterday, so I guess we will
all have to wait with bated breath for his report.

Yes, it does -- I forgot to include that in my report