Brian S Gray

Default default planning permission?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:27:56 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

In article ,
(John K) wrote:

I heard that an extension/conservatory has default planning permission
after a certain period of time, even though originally constructed
without planning permission and outside permitted development. Is this
true?

No. It's just that breaches are not pursued after four years. Not quite the
same thing. Unless it's a listed building - in which case breaches are
pursued for ever.

If so, how long is this period?

What impact does such entensions/conservatories have when the house is
up for sale?

Oh a fair bit. If it doesn't have pp, this may still make it more difficult
to sell and expect a careful eye to be passsed over it with respect to
building regs, too.

How do you prove that they have default planning
permissions?

You don't and with difficulty.

Will it be any different after the proposed seller's pack
come into action?

Planning consent for building works is usually associated with
building regulations approval and absence of the latter can be a
problem if required. (I know of at least one planned house purchase
by a relative that fell through over this.)

Where the planning consent was required for a change of use of land,
eg agricultural land to caravan site, I think that you can sometimes
apply for a certificatre of lawful use if the change of use took place
over a certain number of years ago (perhaps 10 or 12 years ago but it
could vary with planning authority), I can imagine this might apply
to an extension, but that does not get over the building reguilations
approval questions.