Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Derek ^

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 01:17:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Clive wrote:
In a diesel a droplet of fuel will spontaneously combust because the
air surrounding it is hot.

If it works with diesel, then it'll work with all lighter fractions.

Then put petrol in a diesel car and see if it will run.

I did (a full tankfull) and it does.

But I dd get it drained down within 300 metres.

I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't, AIUI there is an
incompatibility risk to seals within the fuel pump/injection system

I was on the point of departing on a 5,000 mile tour round Europe
culminating in Krakow, Poland, and my diesel mechanic's 17 year old
daughter was coming with us in the car.

He became insistant that we drained down and discarded the tankfull of
fuel. :-(

We got there, and back!

DG