Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Ground Rod For House ?

That's a grand collection of misquotes and minsinformation and
hooey references that are irrelevant to most anything here.
Like I said before, I'm not inclined to continue to debate these
OT side trips of useless misinformation. If you'd like to have a
sensible, detailed debate, start a new thread where it belongs.
People are beginning to complain about responses that have
nothing to do with the OP's questions, and I have to agree it
does make it hard to find a meaningful response if there is one.

"w_tom" wrote in message
: The simple answer: Water pipe is no longer sufficient as a
: building's earth ground. Post 1990 code requires other
: earthing electrode selected from the list in paragraphs
: (A)(2) through (A)(7) so that building earthing is sufficient
: and minimally acceptable.
:
: To reply to 'mixed within' inline replies: Yes, many homes
: have only water pipes for earthing. Eventually, all that will
: be corrected as we slowly upgrade to minimally acceptable
: ground standards. Many homes also have two prong wall
: receptacles. Is that acceptable today? Of course not. That
: also is slowly being corrected.
:
: Meanwhile for both human safety and for something new to
: homes (transistor safety), water pipe earthing is no long
: sufficient. Homeowner is encouraged to upgrade building
: earthing for more than human safety reasons.
:
: Transistor? Show me any IC that does not have transistors?
: Furthermore, transistors - discrete parts - are widely used in
: most every electronic device. I am responding here to
: something that Pop should have obviously known by looking at
: the PC board even on a disk drive. He also ignores
: unnecessary transistor damage from decades previous. A
: solution that begins with sufficient earthing.
:
: No, I have not used resistance and impedance
: interchangeably. Mercy! Read what was posted carefully to
: appreciate specific references to each. Comprehending
: impedance is necessary appreciate electrical concepts in that
: fax machine example; why so much unnecessary transistor damage
: has occurred for so many decades.
:
: NID contains protection that was once only an arc over
: device - gas discharge tube or GDT. Appreciate why earthing
: is essential for phone circuits - why GDTs work. If one
: thinks any protector blocks or absorbs destructive transients,
: then one never learned what effective protection does. NID
: does provide effective transistor protection - but only as
: good as its earth ground. Where does the human start to
: eliminate transistor damage? Earth ground as even
: demonstrated in that previous www.tvtower.com citation.
:
: BTW your 600 volt number is an obsolete 1950s standard that
: was once 400 to 600 volts. Times and protectors have changed.
:
: I make no assumptions or rationalizations having learned
: this stuff decades ago as an engineer and from experience. It
: is routine to protect from direct lightning strikes as even
: addressed by Bodle and Gresh in their Mar 1961 paper in the
: Bell System Technical Journal. And yes, they are discussing
: 'transistor' protection back then. Their paper even
: demonstrates why underground utility wires require properly
: earthed service entrance protection.
:
: There was no rationalization. You are apparently having
: difficulty even with concepts of impedance verses resistance.
: Those who are not familiar also might post:
: Oh, gosh, no. Earth ground has almost nothing to do with
: the actual protection.
: Earthing is THE one essential component that literally every
: building protection system requires. Pop: Read highly
: regarded application notes from Polyphaser. Does Polyphaser
: discuss their product line? Of course not. Polyphaser
: discusses THE most critical component in protection - earth
: ground:
: http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_ptd_home.aspx
:
: Many science papers dating back even to the 1930s define
: effective protection as based upon techniques pioneered by Ben
: Franklin in 1752. Was Franklin also rationalizing? Were GE
: and Westinghouse researchers rationalizing when their
: equipment atop the Empire State Building could suffer about 25
: direct strikes annually without damage? What was posted is
: well proven science. But many today still remain in denial.
: In denial even about what the NEC now demands for earthing a
: building only for human safety.
:
: Water pipe earth ground is no longer sufficient as a
: building's only earth ground. This also for so many reasons
: provided in previous posts. This proven by literally quoting
: NEC text. And yet still many will deny what the NEC itself
: demands. Water pipe earth ground is no longer sufficient to
: earth a building.
:
: Above is about transistor safety. Different from what the
: Original Poster asks and what NEC addresses with demands for
: supplemental earthing. A water pipe earth ground is no longer
: sufficient. Pop, looking forward to questions once you have
: learned from Polyphaser's app notes. Yes, those wires atop
: telephone poles are little different from radio station
: antenna. As the Polyphaser app notes will demonstrate,
: underground wires are also at risk. All three connect
: directly to transistors inside a building. Transistor
: protection is only as effective as its earth ground.
:
: Pop wrote:
: Mercy! I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here, or
: what the point of some of the irrelevant URLs/comments might
be,
: but ... either you need to step back and put your heard
around
: this again, or seek further education and experience.
: You'll probably object to my post here, but it's so
typical of
: many on this group lately that I just can't hold it in any
: longer. Those who have nothing to say, should say exactly
that.
: Those who do have something to say, should be clear and
concise
: about it. Rationalization and guessing have no place in the
: realm of safety.