Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Has anyone found a high def TV by the curb yet?

On 26 Dec 2005 20:25:25 -0800, "AB9GO" wrote:

I suspect that being the fix-it kinda people here you could not resist
picking up a discarded high def set if you found one. I am curious if
people are repairing them or as with most consumer electronics lately
just pitching it.

Randy.

I found a 27" Panasonic HDTV and a 38" RCA HDTV a few months ago. The
RCA had a minor power supply problem, but the Panasonic has an open
CRT heater. I'm actually getting a new CRT from Panasonic because
it's still under parts warranty (just over a year old). The RCA was
just over 3 years old and cost $4000 when new. I would expect more
than 3 years for that kind of money.

No plasmas yet, but as prices fall I'm sure they'll start to show up.
As boards become unavailable they will be scrapped by most shops.
That's good news for people who can still do component level repairs.
I suspect a large number of failures will be repairable such as power
supplies and tuners. The bad part about plasmas is that the screens
are very fragile and are likely to be cracked by rough handling.
Andy Cuffe