Posted to rec.woodworking
Kyle Boatright

Default Want to make a workbench in basement. Bunch o' questions.

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:UgUtf.2275$WX3.1751@trndny09...

I'm finally going to create a hopefully large workbench in my fairly large
basement.

1. Are there any spectacular sets of diagrams for workbenches that people
here particularly like?

2. Should the table-top of it be (true) 1 1/2", 1", or some thick plywood
or particle board?

3. What's the "good" height and depth?

4. Is there an advantage to having it angle across one of the corners of
the basement?

5. Should it stand against the wall?

Here's some of what I hope to do with it, off the top of my head.

1. put a small tablesaw on it.
2. Fix chairs
3. Hoist a lawnmower up on it to replace the wheels.
4. Bolt my anvil vise to it.
5. Use it for holding boards I hack at with a hand-circular saw.
6. Possibly mount (no clue) a mitre saw or similar
7. Build very simple bookcases, shelving, etc.
8. Cut crown molding
(etc., etc.)

Any tips and or pointers and or things you *wish* you had thought of
before putting one together yourself?

THANKS!

Fine Woodworking's annual tools and shops issue (on the shelf now) has a
decent bench you can build for not too much money.

You might build that bench, or use that design for a starting point. A
nifty suggestion is to go to a building surplus store and get a blemished
solid core smooth door to use for the tabletop. It might cost you $30 or so,
but will be plenty flat and inexpensive compared to making the same thing
out of plywood or MDF.

1/2 your height is a good rule of thumb for bench top height. Other
considerations are whether you want to store anything under it. My bench is
just high enough so I can slide my two roll-away tool chests under it.

Unless your space is limited, you might build both a workbench - i.e. a
large, flat, sturdy surface which is good for assembling stuff and doing
layout work, AND a workstation for your tools. If you bolt all that stuff
to the top of your workbench, you'll probably run out of room on the
tabletop...

KB