Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill

Default Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air)

In Lowe's, in the houseplant section, get an inexpensive hygrometer, maybe
$4. These things are notoriously inaccurate (as are many of the more
expensive ones) so pick one that at least reads near the average of the
others on the rack. If it reads more than 60 percent relative humidity in
your shop (and it probably will) get a dehumidifier. I have what I consider
a pretty dry basement and run one year round. When it has decreased the
humidity below what you've set its humidistat for (about 50 percent RH), it
will shut off. Effective at preventing mold and mildew in your basement as
well. If you have a floor drain, sink or toilet in your basement, or it's a
walkout basement, you can hook the dehumidifier up to a drain hose so you
don't have to continually empty the condensate container. I saw several
serviceable looking dehumidifiers at the local Habitat for Humanity Outlet
Store for a fraction of what new ones cost.

David Merrill

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:kjUtf.1253$494.594@trndny07...

I currently have most of my tools all in a large plastic tool bin with a
pretty good snap on lid (in my basement).

I was wondering if it makes any particular sense to install a dehumidifier
in it to protect any power tools I move down to it.

The basement is not "dripping" wet, but the air is a "little" damp feeling
in the summer, and there is some water that comes in a very small amount

in
one corner.

Thanks!

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides