Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Want to make a workbench in basement. Bunch o' questions.

I'm finally going to create a hopefully large workbench in my fairly large
basement.

1. Are there any spectacular sets of diagrams for workbenches that people
here particularly like?

2. Should the table-top of it be (true) 1 1/2", 1", or some thick plywood or
particle board?

3. What's the "good" height and depth?

4. Is there an advantage to having it angle across one of the corners of the
basement?

5. Should it stand against the wall?

Here's some of what I hope to do with it, off the top of my head.

1. put a small tablesaw on it.
2. Fix chairs
3. Hoist a lawnmower up on it to replace the wheels.
4. Bolt my anvil vise to it.
5. Use it for holding boards I hack at with a hand-circular saw.
6. Possibly mount (no clue) a mitre saw or similar
7. Build very simple bookcases, shelving, etc.
8. Cut crown molding
(etc., etc.)

Any tips and or pointers and or things you *wish* you had thought of before
putting one together yourself?

THANKS!

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides