Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Announce - Open Source CNC website

According to Donnie Barnes :
On Sun, 01 Jan, F George McDuffee wrote:
Fantastic idea and more importantly follow-through. Already book
marked.

What are the top ten needs/wants?

What is the programming language of choice? I am assuming c++ or
java for cross-platform compiling, but?

Java? Man, I hope not. C++ is almost acceptable, but I would think C,
python, or perl would be most widely accepted.

For some things, perl is not bad -- but it has the disadvantage
of being an interpreted language, so slow for large tasks compared to a
truly compiled program.

I've never done anything in python, so I can't speak to that.

But -- I do use C quite a bit, and have for many years.

If you really want to push the envelope, try Ada, which is now
available as part of the gcc package. I've never done anything in it,
nor have I gotten the necessary tools to compile that part of the gcc
package, but I would consider it a step up from C++.

For math-intensive work, something like APL, but I think that
would be awkward for most of what would be done relative to CNC work.
And -- it is a pain to compile and install on most systems, thanks to
its required weird character set.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564