Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making A Square Hole In Stainless Steel

DanG wrote:
You have not said how far from an edge you are needing the holes.
These folks are among the best at punching holes:
http://roperwhitney.com/tech/tech2.cfm

look at their choices under punching. The cost goes up with
thickness, size of hole, and distance from edge.

Nothing can be outsourced, and I'd need the tools and know-how for
future projects anyway.

These particular squared holes will be about 1/8" from the
edges(corners) of the stainless steel.

The square holes are necessary because I'm creating a hinge set-up
where I'll need put squared Delrin bushings with round holes through
them into the square holes created in the 1/16" thick stainless steel.
The holes need to be square so that only the rod that will go through
the bushing will turn and not the bushing itself.

BTW. Can anyone tell me if there were logistical reasons why square
hole bits were not made for a tool like the Rotabroach?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.