Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default 110, 220 , or 220 3 phase?

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:18:42 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

Any take on Franklin Electric motors?

This is another name brand motor. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I've been given a new Phase-A-Matic static phase converter that I would
like to use rather than hooking in to the RPC I use for my mill. The RPC
is rather noisy in my small shop and I'm hoping the static converter would
be quieter. Would a VFD replace a phase converter or be used in addition
to it? I'm assuming that the VFD will only vary the speed up to the rated
RPM. IOW, a VFD wouldn't allow a 1140 RPM motor to run more than 1140 RPM,
but allow one to choose 800 RPM for example. Does the power go down
proportional to the RPM?

Phase a matic developes 2/3 of motor hp. It will work though as long as you
keep this in mind.

A threephase motor run from a Phase a matic willl not run as smoothly
as it does on true 3-phase power. Whether that matters or not depends
on the application.