Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimB

Default getting the most from AA cells

AJH wrote:

A happy new year all and a poser.

My wife was given a camera which uses 2 AA cells. Because I doubt she
will use it much I put 2 ordinary alkaline dry cells in it, it shows
discharged after about 40 frames stored.

Now these cells still show 1.45V so I am wondering what piece of
equipment would make use of the remaining charge. I am thinking
probably a LED torch of some sort?

I could buy some NiMH cells for it, Nicads are expressly warned
against, but my experience of NiMH is they are great for regular use
then fail quickly but have a high self discharge if left for long
periods.

AJH

Usage sounds about right based on mine - digicams drink battery. As far
as re-use - remotes, clocks, in fact most things except digicams as
long as you're not hugely concerned about lifetime. I've run my
minidisc player for well over a weeks worth of commuting - around 20
hours use - on a single AA that the digicam claimed to be dead. New
batteries give me around 40-50 hours use.