Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Converting Victorian house into two Flats

Roger wrote:
The message
from "James" contains these words:

We have a large Victorian 6 bed semi house and are considering converting it
to two flats one ground floor two bed and upper two floors to 3 bed.

Has anyone experience of this, or can point me in the right direction for
more info.....we are only at the information gathering stage but wish to be
as informed as possible.

No information on conversion as such but you will require planning
permission for the change and I have heard that some councils can be
particularly awkward over that if they think multiple occupation is out
of keeping with the area.

I'd second that - go and have an informal chat with a planning officer
at your local council just to run it past them; you may find that
there's a blanket ban on such conversions so that you idea is a non-starter.

Another tip is to talk to local estate agents about the idea; it's
possible you might even find that the 6 bed house is worth more than the
two flats, depending on circumstances! Or maybe locally there's a huge
demand for one and not the other? Whatever, they should be able to give
you rough valuations for the completed flats versus the house, which
should help you start thinking about whether it's worth even contemplating.

David