Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Need Help Wiring Old Compressor

Your compressor draws 16 amps, so you don't need to connect it to a 50 amp
outlet or circuit. Change the fuses or breaker to 20 amp and change the
outlet to 20 amp 240 volt and get a matching cord and plug, (3 wire) Run the
cord to the pressure switch, connect the two power wires to the switch(line
side) and the ground wire to a ground screw. It looks like you've already
got the cable going from the pressure switch to the motor

"Thomas & Paige" wrote in message
I have an old Craftsman Twin Cylinder air compressor that has no
plug/cord wired in at the moment. I need to learn the correct wiring
procedure in order to connect this 230V motor to my existing 50amp 250V
plug in my garage. The house was built in the 60's and all the wiring
is original. Therefore, I have provided pictures of each component in
question, sorry you have to cut and paste.

First here are pictures of the existing 50amp 250V Plug in my garage.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0335.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0352.jpg

Second are pictures of the compressor and its' motor face plate,
wiring, and wiring diagram.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0336.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0355.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0349.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ingDiagram.jpg

Third is a picture of the wiring block on the compressor.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_0337.jpg

My intentions are to purchase a NEMA 10-50P and 10ft of 12-3 power Cord
and simply wire the Red and Black wire to the two terminals on the
wiring block. Leaving the white wire disconnected. Is this the proper
thing to do or am I going to cause some sort of electrical hazard? The
red and black are my two hot wires right? By the way where is a good
place to look for the 10-50P, I have tried my local Home Depot and
Lowes but they don't carry them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas