Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas).

Thats ONLY on 90% or better condensing furnaces.

I can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a chimney
(several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I don't want
to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil furnace out of
the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is yes it would have
to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into the yard as is done
with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be retro-fit on an oil
furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the newest more efficient
oil furnaces?

This is one that you need to check with your local permit office, and an
inspector...the IBC, and IFC says no.
you COULD use a power vent to go to your sidewall.....and I promise you one
thing....if your tech isnt tuning your furnace right each year, you will
know it in short order.

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth