Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

You can't vent the oil furnace you have with PVC. You need to use either a
Field or Tjernlund 'power venter'. There are specific guidelines for their
placement, and the wiring can be complicated for a novice. You can use
standard galvanized smoke pipe going to the power venter, but they are just
another mechanical component that can break over time. If you have an
existing chimney, get it repaired or replaced. A chimney liner or a complete
new double-walled chimney for an oil furnace must be stainless steel.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth