Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

I will answer in case the HVAC guys are at a party.

Only modern furnaces with a secondary heat exchanger are eligible for using
PVC as the exhaust.

All older furnaces that I have encountered require a stack that terminates
above the roofline.

Oil furnaces are a different critter. I would GUESS that any flue that
meets the guidelines in the furnace manual would work. A non-masonry
chimney should be an option.

For you safety use whatever you learn in this group as a guideline and
consult with a local HVAC person experienced in oil furnaces before you
proceed.

Colbyt