Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Furnace Chimney Alternative Question

"Rob" wrote in message
I have heard of venting a furnace out of the basement with a PVC pipe
instead of a chimney for a gas furnace (propane and natural gas). I
can't get natural gas where I live, but I want to look into the option
of venting the oil furnace out of the basement instead of using a
chimney (several reasone for not wanting to use the old chimney which I
don't want to bore ou with) . Is it at all possible to exhaust an oil
furnace out of the basement with a pipe (I'm guessing if the answer is
yes it would have to be a stainless pipe) undergound and venting into
the yard as is done with some gas furnaces? Also, could this setup be
retro-fit on an oil furnace that is about 10 years old, or only on the
newest more efficient oil furnaces?

Rob NE Pennsylvania, USA, Earth

the only appliances I know of that are vented through PVC are new, and power
vented.
Your oil furnace is probably not able to be retrofitted to do this. Seek
professional help before attempting.

Sorry I have NEVER seen a furnace vented into a yard. Please provide details
on this.
Uniform Building Codes that I am ware of require vents to be above the roof
top so the fumes and CO are not ingested.