Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default Wheelchairs and lathes

Some thoughts come to mind. Nichols used to build lathes for people in wheel
chairs. I believe they are no longer in business but the possibility is
certainly there. As I recall, the adds were some pretty huge machines and
most of us, in wheelchairs or not, do not really need a machine that turns a
48" bowl. A mini lathe on a table that suspends over a lap seems more my
speed. Actually a solid surface suspended on sturdy legs well enough apart
to get a wheel chair under begins to have possibilities. If the legs were
cast iron or concrete they could absorb a lot of vibration.
Also, there was a woman in California, I think it was, who did some great
wood turning on a metal lathe using the tool holder and manipulating the x,
y axes. Michelle Holtsappfel I think but these senior moments are catching
up.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate