Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Garage heat with a 9.6 kW electric heater

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 00:37:36 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Glenn" quickly quoth:

I have a 20X20 detached garage with no insulation (paneled inside .. no

I noticed that when I broke the icicle off my nose as I was leaving
there last week, Glenn.

sheetrock) and a lousy seal on the big door. I run a 4.5KW electric heater
when I want to be comfy. If it is 40F out there and I plug it in then I am
comfortably warm 60ish in about 15-20 min. In an hour I am taking off my
quilted flannel shirt I have anti fatigue mats on the floor that help
keep the feet warm. I do set it so it points at the area I will be working
in. It rarely gets below 30F during the day here.
I would just set the duct heater on the floor and fire it up to see if it
heats well enough to be made fancy.

Garage door seal kits are $18 at bLowes and a handful of cans of spray
foam would seal up those hollow walls tout de suite, sir. Staple some
pink bats on the roof and you're a lot better off than you were, and
once the shop heats up, it'll stay there after that.

That reminds me that I need to drill holes and fill my own shop wall
(singular) with foam. It's 61F out there now while the rest of the
house is 69F. Also, if you staple a strip of poly over the garage door
hinge segments it'll keep that set of long holes plugged. I glued 2"
foam board in the wooden cutouts of my shop door and it helps.

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online