Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Expensive Electricity Bill

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:53:38 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:29:13 -0800, paulc wrote:

Now that ive written down everything, there does seem quite a bit. Ive
taken readings every morning this week, and overnight were using 34
units (its a modern meter, blue button gives you night reading and day
one). Through the day were using 25 units, both seem excessive to me.

Snip

Ok just been put onto this by a friend and we are having a similar
problem though not the same.
until a couple of bills back, i was paying £80 per month on DD and
this was covering my usage. we also have economy 7.
i had running
3 x storage heaters
2 x computers (1 on 24/7 as uploading weather station but monitor off
over night)
1 x fridge freezer
1 x chest freezer
1 x electric cooker when in use (about once a day)
1 x microwave about 4 times a week
light bulbs ranging from 1 x 100w to 40w and energy saving 11w
1 x kettle boiled about 10 times a day
1 x emersion heater on 24/7
1 x electric radiator with thermostat set to 18c (24/7)
1 x bedside light 25w
1 x radio alarm

the whole house is electric, no gas and no solid fuel and is rented.

a couple of bills back i got one for £800+ then the next one was for
£700+ so i rang them up and changed to a card meter on 6th december.
it ate £50 in 5 days. things started getting turned off.

i am now running
2 x comps as above
1 x 2kw convector heater thermostat controlled on number 3
1 x fridge freezer
1 x kettle
1 x cooker
light bulbs
the emersion heater is only being turned on over night

our current usage for the previous 24 hours is £6.37
units are
R1 (day time i assume) 43.31
R2 (night time i assume) 36.05

R1 price 8.36p per unit?
R2 price 3.61p per unit?

readings have been taken for over a week and i can't get the usage
down. Tonight i have borrowed a calor gas heater off a friend so we
will see what the readings tell me tomorrow, but where am i using all
this power? do i have a leak?