Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Wilo Smart Pump vs Grundfos Alpha?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:13:13 -0000, "Set Square"

Andy Hall wrote:

In terms of the pricing, I think that if you shop around, and squeeze
suppliers a bit, you should be able to get an Alpha for about £60 -
the online places are doing them for £65.

Thanks. I've now found some at £60-65 on line. When I first posted, I had
only found some at 80-odd quid. So I guess you're saying "better the devil
you know" - if it's not dramatically dearer than a cheaper model?

Yes, I'm not saying that the Wilo is necessarily bad - no direct
experience of it - but I do know that the Alpha works well.

Ther only seems to be a couple of quid difference between the 15/50 and
15/60. A 15/50 would probably be adequate for my system. Is there any
significant disadvantage in fitting a 15/60, and providing a bit of
breathing space?

What you could do is to look up the data for your existing pump in
terms of the pressure/flow curves - especially for the setting that
you have been using.

Then compare with the curves for the two Alpha models.

As long as you can achieve sensible adjustability, I think I'd go for
the larger one. In my case I did, although I have quite long runs of
22mm between the location in the house where the heat exchanger is
installed and the workshop so felt that a bit more availability of
oomph wouldn't hurt.

--

..andy