Leo Lichtman

Default so he has a point

Alaric B Snell wrote: The answer to this is to ditch AC for the grid. The
only reason we use AC is that you can use transformers to alter the voltage
efficiently, allowing high voltage long-distance links to be stepped down
to household mains.
One of us does not understand this. The use of transformers makes it
possible to send power long distances without big I(squared)R losses.
Edison did not understand this. Steinmetz did. The result is that we have
very efficient power transmission lines that cross the country.

I don't believe it is the fact that we are using AC, per se, that results in
these instabilities. It is a domino effect caused by inadequately designed
automated "protection."