Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry St.Pierre

Default Telegraphing biscuits...

"Toller" wrote in
:

There is a thread here every few months about whether or not biscuits
show through. Most people say they have never seen it, but a few
insist it happens all the time.

I made up a game board out of 1/2" ply recessed in a frame of walnut.
I cut the biscuit slots off center so the thin side would be on the
bottom. Unfortunately I screwed up in cutting the slots on the mating
pieces and the spacing only worked with the plywood upside down, with
the thin part on top. Normally I would have redone it, but this was
for a project my son was doing for 6th grade and it didn't seem right
to fuss too much over it; so I went with what I had. (besides, I could
blame it on my son!)

Well, they didn't show at first and they still don't show a week
later. If they don't telegraph through 1/16" of plywood it is hard to
believe they ever do. And yes, they are nice snug fits; PC 557
and PC biscuits.

I have read that European biscuits are compressed, but PC found that
they work the same without compression so PC biscuits are not
compressed. Maybe that accounts for people's varying experiences?

That'll teach you to ask a simple question.
Your theory sounds good. Maybe I'll pick up some PC biscuits and do a
little testing.
Happy New Year,
Hank