DoN. Nichols

Default Turning disc of phenolic

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:
In article , dnichols@d-
and-d.com says...

[ ... ]

The alternative is to leave a shoulder so you can use a Jacobs
chuck fork on it,

You could put two thru holes in the face of the nut, 180
degrees apart, and two mating tapped holes in the disc hub.
Unscrew the nut a bit til the holes line up, insert a
couple machine screws, and pull the hub off the taper. In
that case, the MT might be practical.

That sounds good -- but you would need to be able to disguise
the holes as decoration (and I had a branch of the thread (or was it an
e-mail branch?) in which I had a circle of holes in the nut parallel to
the axis, and then the nut is turned to a cone, leaving the holes as
decorative ribbing -- but something which could be gripped by a special
design wrench. Perhaps *all* of those holes could go all the way
through, reducing the amount you need to rotate the nut before you line
up. But you would need a piece to fit on the cone and provide a square
surface for the screw head to operate against.

Or -- there could be a shoulder *behind* the wheel (which is
where we were before we got to the taper idea) against which the tips of
the screws could bear for extraction.

[ ... ]

Manuel(Spencer Tracy), the Portugese sailor who befriends
Mickey Rooney plays one, the kind we're talking about here,
a couple times in the movie. It's a good movie, though I'm
not sure how Manuel was able to keep that hurdy-gurdy in
good tune on a Gloucester fishing schooner out on the Grand
Banks.g

Kind of like the sailors keeping a concertina in good condition
at sea. :-) The expensive English system concertinas were really out of
the reach of the sailors price-wise anyway. And what was far more
likely to be used at see were cheap (e.g. $1.00-$3.00, depending on the
period) one-row button accordions. Dead simple to play -- at least to
sort of accompany your singing when relaxing off-duty. Cheap enough to
replace after every voyage. (There were also cheap German-made
concertinas, which might have been within reach, but like the
accordions, they would die by the end of the voyage -- probably even
when given extraordinary care.)

Note that there are at least two things which go by that name,
both crank-operated. The earlier is the instrument which we are

[ ... ]

The older style (which has a French name which I would misspell
if I tried to type it) takes more skill, and I have heard the difference
between a skilled player and an unskilled one, and it is amazing.

Sort of like the bagpipes, eh?

Similar sound, except that the bagpipes (at least the Scottish
warpipes) are *loud*, while this is a more polite indoor instrument.
There are "polite" bagpipes in several cultures.

[ ... ]

fine tuning of a scale. Sometimes, there are two rows of the keys, with
longer flags sticking up between the other keys, so you can have a row
of "white notes" and one of "black notes".

I've only seen one in person once. Someone had several in
progress and a finished hurdy-gurdy at a folk craft show
here in Maine a few years ago. I found them fascinating.

They are -- and I've examined an antique one once, part of the
display collection in a rather good music store in Washington D.C.

[ ... ]

I could probably use VNC to get some of that with a Windows box
displayed on a unix box, but it is slow. I do use that for running the

[ ... ]

I wouldn't even want to attempt it. The 3d parametric
modelers are much more graphics and compute intensive than
typical wireframe CAD or 3d CAD. Every time I need to put
together a new box I thank the gamers for making the
required hardware affordable.

:-)

My Sun Ultra-2 has a Creator-3D card in it, which should be
quite nice, if I can get the programs to use it. It is things like this
that make me use the Sun as the keyboard/display and leave the program
(which was written for Intel-based linux) on a linux box across the net.
It might be worthwhile boosting that link to 100BaseT instead of
10BaseT.

It's ironic that so little is available for linux/unix
since the predecessors(ProE, for example) of the current
batch of mid-range modelers were all unix programs.

They want to *sell* them, and linux users are a notoriously
poor market. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564