Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Soldering and a grease gun.

B.B. wrote:

These will be used separately.
I've decided that I'm going to try making solder connections since at
work we can't seem to keep he crip-on connecters in stock. But I've
never done any soldering before. If I'm going to be soldering 14 and 16
gage wires together (either end to end, or splicing in a branch) what
solder, what technique, and what soldering tool? Can I solder the ends
using a small butane torch or will this require a real soldering iron?
I'll never be soldering a wire directly to a component, but I may need
to solder on a terminal.

Soldering electrical wires is easy. However, it may be easier to get your work
to buy more crimp-on connectors than to buy a bunch of soldering supplies, which
themselves will also go out of stock. Your call.

Start with the end in mind. Once you have your gorg-ass solder joint, how are
you going to insulate it? Many of us use heatshrink tubing, but you have to
remember to slip that on BEFORE you solder the joint. Other options are
electrical tape (don't cheap out here, get the good stuff, cheap electrical tape
is a misery) or that goop-on stuff.

To make a midair butt joint, I strip the ends of both wires the same length,
slip on a length of appropriately-sized heatshrink tube cut about 3X the length
of the wire strip, then overlap the wires axially so the stripped ends are next
to each other, and carefully twist them together axially. When you're done, the
twist should look like the splice on a cheap coathanger, NOT like a stub
sticking out the side. Then heat the joint with your soldering tool until the
joint, not the tool, is hot enough to melt the solder, and immediately touch the
solder to the joint. You don't need a boatload of solder, many newbies try to
run on way way too much. Keep the joint mechanically supported until the joint
cools, then slide the heatshrink over the joint and apply heat to shrink it in
place.

If you use a soldering iron, I recommend you learn about keeping your tip clean,
tinned, and after it gets up to heat, wet it slightly by melting a bit of solder
with it. The molten solder will help the heat transfer from the tip to the wires.

If you use a small torch (I haven't done this much) you have to stabilize your
joint in midair, apply the torch flame, then lift the flame and INSTANTLY apply
the solder before the joint cools. It's easy to goop on a blob of solder with a
flame, but it will most likely be a cold solder joint and this is a bad thing.

There are excellent Web pages on the fundamentals of soldering. GTA.

And the grease gun: anyone know how to locate a grease gun (manual,
preferably pistol-grip) that won't leak and dribble when the grease
starts to separate?

I suggest you buy a small one, and buy good quality grease. The good grease will
be much less likely to separate, and the small gun will make it much more likely
you'll use the grease up before the end of its (now much longer) shelf life.

GWE