Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Pistol sear geometry update

I didn't mess-up the sear! Since this XD-9 is only the second pistol I ever
bought new, I had this strange trepidation about improving the
design...foolish me! I work on more complex, more intricate, more expensive
mechanisms with a hammer and torch. Last night, I stone shaped the striker
and sear the way I felt they should be. The OEM finish wasn't optimal and I
understand in mass production that type of fit and finish is a good target.
The parts would probably mate a lot better after a number of thousands of
rounds, I ran one thousand and the bluing or whatever finish wasn't hardly
touched. They now have a mirror finish with corrected angles and the
trigger pull is SWEET! Smooth and crisp! I doubt Springfield could do
better! The front sight doesn't look like an epileptic Jack Russell Terrier
pup hit with a cattle prod. I can hardly wait to try it out...hope the
neighbors don't mind. I envy you guys that open a living room window to get
on the range.