Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Do I need to get the BCO out to change a front door?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:04:28 +0000, Hugo Nebula wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:34:11 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named DeeBee
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Basically we have two front doors, in the sense that we have a porch
"extension" and then the original front door. I want to change the inner
original door. The current inner door is a pretty standard "hardwood" one.

Now I know that I need BCO / building regs approval and a BCO visit (inc
the cost of this :-( )to change windows, but do I need this if I change
a door.

If the 'porch' is an exempt porch (ie, an 'unheated' extension to the
front of the building), and the 'inner' door has or will have more
than 50% of the door glazed, then yes, a Building Regulations
application will be required as per replacement windows if the company
fitting it isn't FENSA-registered. OTOH, how likely is it ever to
come to light, and not be able to be regularised if it does?

And that's the _game keeper_ talking.