Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Caustic Soda Vs One Shot Sulphuric Acid

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:35:41 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Steve S wrote:

snip

Similarly, conc. sulphuric gets very hot when diluted. If attempting to
dilute sulphuric acid *always* add acid to water, *never* the other way
round. That way, if it boils and spits you are more likely to get splashed
with dilute acid. Eye protection etc. is a must.

Hmm but do you reckon he's going to able to buy sulphuric acid stronger
than 1M anywhere? Seems unlikely to me. It's difficult enough finding
hydrochloric acid for pavement cleaning.

HCl at 10% is readily available from s/fix under "Patio Cleaner" I use it
for general descaling. It's quite as strong as brickwork cleaner (travis
perkins). The local PM has Hcl (strength unknown).

The H2SO4 in the one shot drain cleaner is "94%" It seems pretty strong it
fumes and discolours many things.