Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default Hotpoint washing machine noisy

"hector" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began
making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've
been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started
blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not
the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected
to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint
the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

By main circuit breaker [in CU], do you mean an RCD which senses low
resistance frrom L to E or from N to E? The other circuit breaker (MCB) for
the power ring senses over-current condition.
If this is so, you have an earth-leakage fault, apart from a noisy spinner!
If not, why is the fault blowing a 45A trip - rather than the nearer 32A
trip or even the 1" fuse in 13A plug?
Do unplug from, or switch off supply at wall-socket - and first you might
check for tell-tale moisture near mains wiring within the W/M or a failed
capacitor giving a taboo path to E.
Jim