Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default how to get on to the roof

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

kyle york wrote:

No doubt I'll get seriously razed for this, but I've a two story house
with a hipped roof (gutters on all four sides). I've long since passed
the age where I spend a lot of time on the roof, but on the off chance I
need to get up there, how do I do it since clearly I cannot rest the
ladder against the gutters.

Not razed, nor even razzed. A ladder stabilizer is the ticket. The
stabilizer legs sit on the roof. Having the ladder extend above the
roof makes it a lot easier and safer to get up and down, and it's
extremely unlikely that the ladder could ever slide and fall so you'd
have no way to get down. If that happened the neighbors would find it
the height of hilarity, but you'd probably have another opinion about
it.

I like those stabilizers. However, getting on the roof itself is something
else. On one roof I installed a bracket lagged into the rafters giving me a
hand hold. Once on a two story with a roofer. He walked down the roof and
leaned over looking at the gutters. I didn't bother to check what he told
me.